Who are we?
The impact of violence, abuse and dysfunctional families on a diverse urban society like Hillbrow, can be very traumatic and leave lifelong scars of deeply-rooted emotional wounds in the heart of an individual and the community. We, as the Counselling, Care and Support Unit, and as part of the Outreach Foundation, contribute positively towards the prevention of violence and abuse through restoring the moral fibre of society by providing counselling, advocacy, capacity building, community-based research and the provision of a mental ‘safe space’.
Part of the Community Outreach initiative is Counselling, Care and Support interventions that are provided to the participants in our programmes and the community at large.
These initiatives include the following:
- Case Management – Managing clients individual development plans (IDP);
- Counselling – Providing regular debriefing sessions, group work therapy to victims of violence, abuse, trauma and bereavement;
- Pre-rehab intervention – Family reunification, admission to drug treatment centres, and aftercare;
- Community Awareness – Provide awareness campaigns on issues affecting the community; and
- Migrant Support initiative – To specifically provide counselling to migrants at risk.
The process of care:
Step 1: Every client is individually assessed by a counsellor worker.
Step2: Intervention decided upon together by the client and counsellor (IDP).
Step3: Exit strategy of the client.
Step4: Follow up.
Counselling is provided in a safe space of care.
Counsellor’s code of conduct
Our counsellors work to a code of conduct, a practical tool and internal compass that guides all our volunteers, part-time and full-time employees. It is underpinned by an emphasis on our commitment to maintaining a high standard in our ethical and professional approach as counsellors; a high priority on confidentiality, protection of human rights; and offering a professional service to the community.
We strive to:
Develop family reunification
Provide counselling and support in a safe environment
Undergo weekly street outreaches
-Social Services Manager
-Intern - Social Auxiliary Worker